Thursday, July 2, 2009

Independence Day

The time is upon us again when everyone gets patriotic, wants to picnic, swim, be with the family, and best of all shoot of those crazy fireworks. This time of year used to be exciting to me, full of fun and good memories. I can remember one summer sitting in a car with my mom and dad and their two friends Harry and Helen. It was silly but we carried on saying oooooh and aaaawe over and over again. Not that I have bad memories now but sometimes holidays like this become a nuisance to me. It has happened to me more times than I can count, I am on my way to run a simple errand and someone stops me and thanks me for my service.

The first time this happened to me it threw me for a loop. I didn't really know how to react so I just said "thank you" back. After the fact I remember thinking why did I thank them for thanking me? And it continued on several times until one day I thought why are people thanking me and I wonder how many wake up everyday and thank GOD just for letting them live one more day and to have all the blessings we have as Americans. If you think back to why we celebrate 4th of July and the men who drafted our founding documents you wonder where did all our Christian values go. How did we all of the sudden become a "on Christian" nation just because one man said so?

And another thing totally off the subject of 4th of July, what in the world is going on with the media? The guy is dead, but does anyone realize that a madman got reelected to office in Iran? The guy who wants to destroy us......but yet our country is more worried about what caused a celebrity to have a heart attack. Come on people seriously. Where is our focus as a nation? On some guy that WAS the king of pop like 20 years ago or a madman that wants to kill all Americans?

SO anyways enough from that soap box, I hope that this 4th of July you all have a chance to eat a dog or hamburger, chips, and potato salad. Think of those fighting but a lot of us we really want thanks. Most of us don't know what to do with it because it makes us feel uncomfortable because to be honest with you we weren't drafted we all volunteered and we were just doing our job. It would be like thanking the cashier at wal mart for taking your money......its their job so they do it. Thank someone from a previous generation that was forced to fight for our freedom.

Til Next Time

GOD Bless

Jason

2 comments:

Adam said...

You may think that what you do is just a job but the cashier at Walmart is more than likely not willing to lay down their life for what they believe in. It's a much larger committment than that. And that's why we thank you. Plus, I could never wake up at like 4 in the morning and run all day with 100 lbs. of stuff on my back. And I would probably die on mess hall food. I'm too picky. So thank you. Hope you're having a great Independence Day! We love you and we are praying for you brother!

ME said...

Thank you very much for all that you do. My heart and prayers to go to all of you every day!
Melissa
Lancaster, NY