Thursday, August 6, 2009

Investing

Aug 6th, 2009

I have never been very good with finances, by the world’s definition that is. Sure, I have a good credit score, money left over after the bills to buy groceries, and sometimes (many times) I have been known to buy a coffee or two, it’s my vice and I can’t wait to get back to Pikes Perk and have a Saturday Evening “Study”. But, if you were to ask a financial advisor they would probably look at me and consider it crazy that I have no investment plan or plan for my retirement. My portfolio consists of a few accounts I like to call the “Fun Fund” and the “Ministry Fund”. Sure we put some away in savings from time to time but we usually take that out to buy things for Christmas or whenever we want to make a big purchase. I don't own a CD (Certificate of Deposit), I don't have money in stocks, and I really have no idea how 401K's work or what a ROTH IRA is. Frankly I don’t care. The only reason I ever even considered investing at one point in my life was in Satellite Radio because I thought I could make a quick buck, I didn't by the way.

My dad always tried to impress on me the importance of saving and not spending frivolously (investing). He will probably tell you I was a horrible student. I remember countless times coming home and him asking how much I spent on something, just to get the response back from him...."and how many did you get for that"....lol (my siblings can tell you the same). So anyways eventually I grew up a little and went out on my own and discovered what he was talking about to some extent. I learned that it was better to get 2 tacos for $1 ($20's worth) at Jack in the Box and eat for a weekend rather than spending $5 a meal at Burger King ....Thanks dad you saved me a ton of money, even though I eventually blew it on stupid things while living in Hawaii....lol.

Fast-forward to modern day. As many know I am leaving the Army. Well today that sparked a HUGE conversation / uproar in the TOC (Tactical Operations Center - it’s where I work), basically the Army's fancy name for "The Office", and yes it is FULL of characters. I can't even for the life of me remember what started the conversation but I of course chimed in with "I'm getting out" (meaning the Army) and was asked by the Battle Captain (Basically the office manager in the civilian world) "Sgt Reynolds you have 20 years in". Of course I knew where this was going because I have had this conversation numerous times since we have decided to leave the Army. I laughed and the onslaught ensued. Of course numerous people in the office already knew my plans so everyone perked up to see how the conversation would go between the West Point Graduate and Old SFC Reynolds. He preceded to tell me that I was making a stupid decision and that if I stuck it out my last few years I would make half a million just off my retirement after 20 years.

I cannot blame him because he has an Ivy League Level Education, and he can only see what makes sense to him. He is a product of one of the finest educations our country has to provide. In logical terms he made sense to a lot of people here in the office and he echoed several opinions I have already heard. However, there were a few problems with his theory.
1. Even though dad thought me the value of a dollar I still never invested a single cent. His arguments hinged on me investing $15,000 a year from my retirement check…..never have and probably won’t anytime soon start investing so that was the first problem.
2. He also hinged on the fact that I could retire at 20 yrs of service. Again a problem, when you become indefinite with the military that’s exactly what it means…..INDEFINITE. They can keep you as long as they like. Ask several of my friends who attempted to retire at 20 and see how it turned out for them. Most ended up serving 22, 24, 26 years. So now we are talking about a whole decade or more rather than a few more years.
3. He argued that I could never get this time back and that it would be a waste. I agree with him 100% on the time. I can never get back the first steps or words of my 2nd daughter that I never got to hear and see. The same will hold true for my son that I will not get to experience those moments. I have missed out on diapers, birthday parties, the funeral of my last living grandparent, weddings, graduations, holidays, and anniversaries. He was right I will never get that time back.

You see he is victim to the school of thought that much of the world is. What will you do without a guarantee? But what they can’t understand is that I have a guarantee. It was given to me by my LORD and Savior. You see I know that no matter what I will be taken care of and so will my family. In the gospels Jesus spoke of just such a situation (see Matt 6:25-34). Today my dad came to mind when thinking about investments and the future. I can remember him investing his time in family, conversation, books, and his bible (and who could forget him beating every game of FreeCell). So thanks dad for teaching me about investing in what is important. I know all your investments haven’t always worked out but I am certain that the one you have put the most stock in will turn out the best for you in the end. I hope that my life and investments will reflect the same.


*For those who don’t know the definition of indefinite is
Indefinite:
1. Unlimited; not fixed or limited in length, size, duration, or quantity
2. Not clear or not precisely defined or fixed
3. Vague and uncertain; unable or unwilling to give a clear indication of thoughts or plans
4. Too many to count


**After 10 years of service and a certain rank, The ARMY REQUIRES a Soldier to become Indefinite upon reenlistment.

I would much rather reenlist in GOD’s Army for an Indefinite period of time!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO, Jason. :-) The peace you have with your God will definitely make an impact on the soldiers around you. *high five* and many prayers coming your way, sir.

Pastor Tracy said...

I'm with you buddy. This army pays way bigger dividends!